Thursday, February 18, 2010

Weston's Birth Story

Well I know this is very late but I have the time...for now to write about how it all went down!!!
The date is Aug. 23, 2009 its 2am. I have just gotten up to go to the bathroom, I notice a gush of something. Assuming my water just broke I call the OB department and they tell me to come right down (its a 30 minute drive). I try to call my neighbor because she is supposed to watch Briley for us while we go, but she doesn't answer her phone. We take Briley with us, no big deal she most likely will sleep through the whole thing (she ended up being awake the whole time).
Well anyway on with the story.
By the time we got to the hospital(around 2:30am) my contractions were every couple minutes and getting stronger. The nurse who checked us in asked if I wanted a wheelchair to the OB department, I said no I can walk...That was the longest dang walk in my life!! I had to stop every time I had a contraction, and then in between the contractions I was trying to hurry down the hallway so I wouldn't have to stop again!! Finally we make it there, and they get me in a room. My nurse comes in to check to see how far along I am and while doing so she gets this shocked look on her face. I asked what I was and she tells me I am fully dilated!! A million things are running through my head at this point...mostly that I am not going to be getting the epidural I wanted!!! I started crying, Justin and the nurse assure me that I can do this. In the meantime the nurse has paged the dr.(my dr was out of town so I got who was on call and he was wonderful!!!)
But my nurse can not believe I have dilated that quickly so she decides she is going to check me again just to make sure. And thank goodness she did I was only 6cm!! She couldn't feel the other side the first time she checked. Well Dr. S gets there and the nurse tells him that I am only 6cm. My dr. was so nice that he sat in my room and squeezed the whole bag of fluid into me so I could get my epidural more quickly (you can't have an epidural until you have a whole bag a fluid in you). At this point in time my contractions are getting worse, I just remember to keep breathing with everyone which makes it bearable (when I was in labor with Briley I tensed up with every contraction making it feel 10x worse). By the time I get my epidural I am 8-9 cm! If the anesthesiologist had come any later I defiantly would not have gotten my epidural! Now its 5:30am and my nurse comes to check on me once again. I am finally fully dilated!!!
We decide to do some pushing, but I am still really numb from getting the epidural, so we decide to let the baby come down some more before I get into the "real" pushing. I was allowed to give little pushes when I felt like it with my contractions...an hor goes by. My nurse comes in to check the baby see how he is doing, and he is fine. He is coming down a little bit, but not enough to warrant me pushing like crazy to get him out! So we wait some more for him to come down. A few hours later, I am feeling more in my legs, and think that I can push. My dr. comes in (its 11am!!) and he says were getting this baby out now! They had to cut me and use the vacuum on him but finally after 30 min of pushing, Weston
was born at 11:38am weighing a healthy 7lbs 7oz, and he was 19 inches long!! They laid him on my chest right after I delivered him, and I am telling you know that is the most amazing feeling in the world (I didn't get all this with Briley, she was an emergency c-section, in which they put me completely under) I started crying, and Weston cried for the first time, Its such and overwhelming feeling, you can't possibly imagine unless you have had a child before. Justin was right there holding my hand through the whole thing, and I had my little princess in the corner and the couch playing the ds!
I couldn't have asked for a better labor. I would do it all over again if it would be just like that!
Now we are set, we have our little princess and our little prince! My family is complete!!

No comments: